Havana club, 7.30pm – This is it! Time to find out the winners of the festival! The grand closing ceremony was an over 18s red carpet event, with welcome drinks on arrival. The room was decorated beautifully and there was a buffet spread provided by Buongiorno Italia.
Winners and Awards
MAIN FILM FESTIVAL AWARDS
Films for Kids (made by a Professional)
Judges special mention: SKETCH – The Walker Twins
Winner: BAGGAGE – Dir. Peter Butler
Judges special mention: FELDSPAR – “THE FLAT & PAPER SKY” – Dir. Craig Heathcote
Winner: REGGIIMENTAL FEAT MATT HENSHAW “STAND BY THE WINDOW” – Dir. Adam Awni
Judges special mention: SKIN – Dir. Janina Vilsmaier
Winner: THE GUEST – Dir. Kira De Hemmer Jeppeson
Judges special mention: DAWID AND DOMINIK Dir. Andrew Salamonczyk
Winner: ROCKET BOYS –Dir. James Button
Judges special mention: PHONE SEX GRANDMA – Dir. Jack Truman
Winner: PRODIGAL SON – Dir. CJ SCUFFINS
Main short film
Judges special mention: GRACIOUS AWAKENINGS – Dir Ben Jacobs, starring James Callas Ball, St Albans
Winner: TIME 2 SPLIT – Dir. Fabrice Bracq
Judges special mention: Darren Kent – Sunny Boy (Main short)
Winner: Kerensa York – Lines in the Sand (Main Short)
MINI STUDENT FILM AWARDS
Best mini student film:
A DOG – Oscar Simmons, Shenley, Herts
Best performance by an actor or actress:
Emily Horton-Harpin, St Albans
LOVE LETTER – Written, Produced, Directed, Edited and Performed by Emily Horton-Harpin
Best Class entry:
TRUTH OR DARE – Lydate J&I School, Kirklees, West Yorkshire
Golden Nugget award:
KILPATRICK SNOWMAN – Kilpatrick Primary School, a special needs school in West Dunbartonshire
Made in St Albans film award:
THE DETECTIVE – Jack and Ashley Campbell, Age 14, St Albans
We are delighted to announce selected films listed below will be screened at the festival. Winners in each category will be announced at the awards ceremony on the Sunday evening 10th March.
MAIN SHORT FILMS – Sponsored by Blanco
- GRACIOUS AWAKENINGS – Dir Ben Jacobs
- LITTLE ANGEL – Dir. Darren S Cook
- THE FLYING LESSON – Dir Phil Hawkins
- SUNNY BOY – Dir. Jane Gull
- LINES IN THE SAND – Dir. Michael Gilroy
- THE PLAYERS – Dir Benjamin Garfield
- MEMORY SCULPTOR – Dir. Ken Ochiai
- TIME 2 SPLIT – Dir. Fabrice Bracq
- HOLDING ON – Dir. Jo Southwell
- THE SEARCH FOR INSPIRATION GONE – Dir. Ashley Michael Briggs
- PADDED CELL – Dir. Andrew Martin
- ID – Daniel Gentely
- THE BEST MEDICINE – Dir.Dan Smith.
DOCUMENTARIES – sponsored by XLN Telecommunications
- 1915 – Dir. Tom Graffin
- CAKE CREATION – Dir. Michelle Becker
- THE GUEST – Dir. Kira De Hemmer Jeppeson
- GRANDPA & ME & A HELICOPTER TO HEAVEN – Dir. Johan Palmgren
- SKIN – Dir. Janina Vilsmaier
- PETER & BEN – Dir. Pinny Grylls
- MY KOSHER SHIFTS – Dir. Iris Zaki
- LAMPWORT – Dir. Alex Parkyn-Smith
- NEWTON FAULKNER – Dir. Ben Roper
- PARKOUR IN ST ALBANS – Dir. Ben Roper
- VACUUM ATTRACTION – Dir. Morgan Miller
- WE CAN GET YOU SOME REALLY CHEAP GEAR – Dir. JOSHUA WESTBURY
- THE DOMESTIC – Dir. Mike Tack
- PHONE SEX GRANDMA – Dir. Jack Truman
- TWO PERSONS MAX – Dir. Tim Kent
- WASTE DISPOSAL – Dir. Katherine King
- SMILE – Dir. The Bashford Twins
- SAW MISGIVINGS – Dir. David Lilley
- EX SOLDIERS – Dir. CHRIS ARMSTRONG
- PRODIGAL SON – Dir. CJ SCUFFINS
- THE END OF LOUIS LANE – Dir. OLIVER GUY WATKINS
STUDENT FILM – Sponsored by UNITAL HERTS PRODUCTION CO.
- POPSY – Dir. John Lerchen
- BIKE SHED – Dir. Edward White
- FIGURE #1 Dir. Chus F. Sarrión
- MOMENTUM – Dir. Boris Seewald
- DAWID AND DOMINIK Dir. Andrew Salamonczyk
- ORPHEUS – Dir. James Button
- TUMBLING AFTER – Dir. Nicholas Humphries
- ROCKET BOYS –Dir. James Button
- IL TOUR DE DAVIDE – Dir. Nicola Sersale
- TRUE REPOSE – Dir. Oscar Garth
- IN MY SHED – Dir. Agathe Dalisson
- A SHORT FILM ABOUT KLEZMER – Dir. Janie Armour
- BIANCA & CHIARA D’AMBROSIO “LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE” – Prod. John Ryan
- THE ZEN HUSSIES “ANGELINA TOUT” – Dir. Sarah Mallabar
- FELDSPAR – “THE FLAT & PAPER SKY” – Dir. Craig Heathcote
- DARIA KULESH “TOM TOM” – Prod. Daria Kulesh
- BIG TIMOTHY MUSIC “LIFE IN NEW YORK” – Dir James Merchant
- COLUMBIA “ON THE RUN” – Dir Chris Dundon.
- DYNAPHONE RECORDS “DARLIN” – Dir. Rob Collins
- LOUISE PETIT BAND “DEMONS” – Dir. Mark Wooldridge
- REGGIIMENTAL FEAT TRAWR “TOUCH” – Dir. Adam Awni
- REGGIIMENTAL FEAT MATT HENSHAW “STAND BY THE WINDOW” – Dir. Adam Awni
- 8:58 “ACROSS THE UNIVERSE” – Dir. Chunky Nelson
- THE BIBLE CODE SUNDAYS “NOW WE’RE PRINCES” – Dir Darren S Cook
- ZERO T “ROXY MUSIC” – Dir. Andrew Clunie
- MAKSIM – THE GODFATHER – Dir. Ben Roper
FILMS FOR KIDS
- HIGH ABOVE THE SKY – Dir Kim Noce & Shaun Clark.
- HOMEY – Dir. Benjamin Garfield
- SPROCKETT – Dir. Hazel Meeks
- ROW ROW ROW YOUR BOAT – Dir. Derek Holder
- BAGGAGE – Dir. Peter Butler
- SKETCH – Dir. The Walker Sisters
- LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE – Prod. John Ryan.
- A SHADOW OF BLUE – Dir. Carlos Lascano
- FORGET ME NOT – Dir Kim Noce & Shaun Clark.
BEST ACTOR AWARD
- Darren Kent – Sunny Boy (Main short)
- Flora Brunier Time to Split – (Main Short)
- Kerensa York – Lines in the Sand (Main Short)
- DenDen – Memory Sculptor (Main Short)
- Opal Dockery – Phone Sex Grandma (Over 18)
- Billie Vee – Two Persons Max (Over 18)
- Patrick Hanna – Momentum (Student)
- Jake Talbot – Rocket Boys (Student)
- Ethan smith – Rocket Boys (Student)
- Edoardo Natoli – Il Tour De Davide (Student)
MINI STUDENT FILM SHORTLIST
- HEDGEROW TALES – Buchlyvie Primary School, Stirlingshire.
- FUEL THE FIRE – Sandaigh Primary School, Glasgow.
- A DOG – Oscar Simmons, Shenley, Herts.
- PIRATES OF THE INDIAN OCEAN – Northampton Bangladeshi Association Youth Club & Wind and Foster, Northampton.
- DREAM BOY – Young people from The Switch Project and filmmakers My Pockets.
- VIKINGS – Lydate J&I School, Kirklees, West Yorkshire
- TRUTH OR DARE – Lydate J&I School, Kirklees, West Yorkshire
- FOX HUNTING – St Vincents Primary School, Mill Hill.
- LOVE LETTER – Written, Produced, Directed, Edited and Performed by Emily Horton-Harpin, St Albans.
- ANTI-BULLYING – Beauchamps High School.
- THE VILLAGE IDIOT – Beauchamps High School.
- KILPATRICK SNOWMAN – Kilpatrick Primary School, a special needs school in West Dunbartonshire
- CTRL-Z – The Hills Lower School, Bedford.
- STRICTLY KITCHEN DISCO – Johanna, Mandeville Primary School, St Albans.
- GHOSTS IN THE WILD – Louis Holding, Surbiton, Surrey.
- 10 THINGS TO DO WHEN YOU ARE BORED – William and Salim, St Albans.
MADE IN ST ALBANS
- THE DETECTIVE – Jack Campbell, Age 14, St Albans.
- A DREAM & A WISH – Iorwen Ellis, Age 8, St Albans
- THE WEDDING – Tatiana – Mandeville, St Albans
- THROUGH THE CHRISTMAS PORTAL – Laura. Martha, Nala Ages 8 & filmed by Will age 12, St Albans
- A SPARK – Oscar Simmons, Age 12.
- STOCKWOOD PARK MUSEUM –Reception Class, St Peters School, St Albans.
- EDOARDO – THE HORRIBLEST BOY IN THE WORLD – YEAR 3 St Peters School, St Albans.
- THE PIANO – YEAR 5 St Peters School, St Albans.
- THE ESCAPE (Legoman) – Benjamin, Mandeville Primary School, St Albans.
- PICNIC ON THE HILL – Ages 7 – 10 Fleetville Junior school, St Albans.
- MEMORY OF JUSTICE – Oakwood Primary School, St Albans.
- THE MURDERER – Jack Cate,Age 9 St Albans
- SHOES & BIN – Fred Cobb, Age 8, St Albans.
- SOMETHING – Rupert Williams, Age 9, St Albans
- FOOTSTEPS FOR THE FUTURE – St Alban & St Stephen Junior School.
All films above are suitable for Children age 5 + There are two super films who made our shortlist but are not suitable for Primary School age so we will have a special screening them with restricted access for age 11+ during the day on 9th March.
- CLOSED EXITS – Rupert Rixon, St Albans
- DEAD MAN WALKING – Jack Gentle Age 14.
After the awards came one of the most touching moments of the night, when Leoni’s family joined her on stage to pay tribute to her hardwork in organising the festival. Given that it was also Mothers Day, having her children join her on stage made the moment all the more poignant .
AFter the awards and thank yous were over, it was time to get on with enjoying the good food and good drink! The night even ended with the St Albans Film Festival Harlem Shake…